Five Healthy Summertime Recipes
Skip the high-fat, sugary ice cream cones, and take a look at these five healthy recipes for fun easy summertime treats. These healthy recipes incorporate lots of fresh fruit and lower-calorie ingredients.
Creamy-Dreamy Orange Pops: (servings depend on size of mold)
- 14 oz. can fat-free, sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz. tub frozen, light non-dairy whipped topping - thawed according to package directions
- 1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate – thawed
In a large bowl, gently blend all ingredients together with a whisk, and pour into Popsicle molds, freezing for at least six hours. Enjoy!
Fresh Blueberry and Yogurt Parfait: (makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup (plus 4 tablespoons) low-fat whipped topping
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup granola
- ½ cup chopped nuts (any variety)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
In a medium bowl, gently whisk yogurt, whipped topping and honey. Layer each of four large, goblet-style glasses with ¼ of this mixture. Top with ¼ cup of granola, ½ cup of the blueberries and ¼ of the nuts. End with a dollop of whipped topping, and enjoy!
Fancy, Frozen Butterscotch Bananas: (makes 16 servings)
- 8 medium bananas, peeled and halved
- 16 wooden Popsicle sticks
- 32 ounces butterscotch chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Dark chocolate hard-shell, ice cream syrup (optional)
- Chopped nuts, crushed granola and toasted coconut
For securely freezing bananas, turn a large shoe box upside down and cut 16 small slits (to accommodate a Popsicle stick).
Melt the chips and butter in a large bowl over a saucepan of gently-boiling water, occasionally stirring. Peel bananas, cut in half, and insert a Popsicle stick into each flat end for use as a handle.
Arrange chopped nuts, crushed granola and toasted coconut on flat plates. Working with one banana
at a time, dip it in the butterscotch melt and completely coat. Roll the dipped banana in the desired topping (or try a drizzle of dark chocolate), insert into the shoe box, and when all are completed, freeze for at least two hours. Enjoy! Once frozen, store the bananas in an airtight container.
Fruit Kebabs with Lemon-Cheesecake Dip: (servings depend on skewer size)
Arrange cleaned, de-stemmed strawberries, grapes, and chunks of cantaloupe, kiwi and pineapple on skewers and chill in refrigerator.
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- ½ cup whipped, fat-free cream cheese
In a medium bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for two minutes. Whisk in whipped topping and cream cheese. Chill for at least 30 minutes, and serve with fresh fruit kebabs.
Cool and Colorful Honeydew Wedges (makes 8 servings)
- 1 large honeydew melon
- 1 package (4-serving size) orange or lime sugar-free gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cold water
Cut melon in half, scoop out seeds and drain well, patting with paper towel to soak up extra juice. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, and add cold water. Chill until slightly thickened. Pour into melon halves, and chill until firm, about three hours. Carefully slice each half into four wedges, and enjoy!
Tasty summertime treats don’t have to be loaded with fat, sugar and calories. Try any or all of these recipes above to “put the cool” into a hot and sunny day!