Acetyl-L-Carnitine for Healthy Liver Function
A healthy diet can go a very long way in helping to promote great health, and the right supplementation can likewise do wonders. Supplements can have additives that are potentially harmful, and this is why you should look for supplements that are made by reputable manufacturers. Strategic supplementation can most definitely help bolster and protect your health. Acetyl-L-Carnitine, or ALC, is an excellent example of a supplement that can help you protect your health. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has been shown to support health in a variety of ways, including supporting liver health.
In a recent Italian study, researchers discovered that Acetyl-L-Carnitine can improve liver function and can even go as far as to support the microstructure of liver tissue specifically. A study of particular interest centered on individuals with inflamed fatty livers. These individuals took ALC twice a day for 6 months. The end results were quite impressive and promising as study participants had lower levels of liver enzymes, improved blood sugar control, lower levels of insulin resistance and more. Additionally, participants were found to have lower overall inflammation levels than those who were not taking ALC.
Yet, as exciting as these studies are, there is more good news. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has a protective effect on the liver as it prevents the build up of toxic compounds in the liver. This supplement is also able to cross the blood-brain barrier, meaning that it can enter the brain. This is significant as Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a strong antioxidant. As a result, it may help to prevent the deterioration of brain cells. Research indicates that ALC works as a neuroprotective and may even help treat Parkinson’s disease. In short, Acetyl-L-Carnitine borders closely on being a sort of miracle supplement!
In addition to supporting the liver, ALC may help improve health in a variety of other ways. Here are a few ways that this supplement may boost your health.
- Increases fertility, as Acetyl-L-Carnitine has been shown to increase sperm movement and count.
- Improves blood flow to the brain.
- May be useful in treating Alzheimer’s disease.
- May improve memory.
- Some evidence indicates that Acetyl-L-Carnitine may be able to play a role in combating depression.
- Some claim that ALC may boost athletic performance.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine helps promote the production of glutathione, which helps protect the cells of the body.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine may boost energy as it increases energy production in the mitochondria. In one study, old rats feed Acetyl-L-Carnitine saw a partial restoration of mitochondrial function.
Before taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine, please check with your doctor as it has been known to interact with some prescription medications. Those with a history of seizures should never take Acetyl-L-Carnitine.