Benefits of Mango: A Delectable Nutrient-Rich Powerhouse
Only Mother Nature herself could manufacture a fruit as fragrant, delectable and healthy as the magnificent mango. Used for centuries as both medicine and food, the mango is one the most nutrient-rich fruits on the planet. Mango leaves, seeds, roots, bark and fruit are packed with health-boosting treasures including phenolic acids, catechins and the xanthone mangiferin.
Often referred to as the "king of fruits," mangoes originated in Southeast Asia and India. References to the fruit can be found in Hindu writings that date back as far as 400 B.C. The mango is lauded as a sacred fruit in the region because it is said that Buddha often meditated under a mango tree.
The mighty mango supports vibrant health in several ways. Some of its most notable benefits include:
- Boosts Immune System: The potent antioxidants in mangos, including pheneloic acids and catechins, help the body fight off infections and cancer-causing free radicals.
- Supports Heart Health: Mangoes contain high levels of magniferin, fiber, pectin and Vitamin C which can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and reduce blood sugar levels.
- Increases Iron Levels: Mangoes are rich sources of iron and holistic practitioners often recommend the fruit to people who are anemic.
- Improves Skin: Whether taken internally or externally, the mango supports healthy skin. It contains concentrated amounts of Vitamin C, which is required to form the protein collagen. Mango pulp is often used in facial products to improve skin texture.
- Promotes Healthy Eyes: Mangoes contain an abundant supply of vitamin A which supports eyesight and prevents night blindness. Vitamin A may also prevent dry eye syndrome
Although mangoes are "officially" in season from May through September, many stores import them from warm climates throughout the year. They are readily available, affordable and easy to prepare. Fresh mangoes can be stored in the refrigerator for about two weeks. They can also be dried or frozen. Because of its unique flavor (sweet with a mild tartness), the mango is one of the most popular tropical fruits in the world.
There are many ways to enjoy this fragrant fruit. The mango is delicious as a stand-alone snack and it is also delicious in frozen yogurt, salsa, tropical fruit salads and marinades. Raw, green mango is sometimes used in pickle and chutney recipes.
Mango supplements have gained popularity in recent years as a health-booster and to support weight loss. The weight loss supplements contain an African mango seed extract that has been linked to increased metabolic activity that can help burn calories.
Find ways to add to add "mango magic" to your daily diet so you and your family can enjoy all of the benefits it has to offer. Your taste buds and your immune system will thank you for it.